We are looking for a remote, experienced, system software contributor with a system and software architect's mind to join our small engineering team. As an API engineer your are a problem solver. API engineers provide the core functions for our business through the highly performative and innovative APIs they design, build, and elaborate. There may be some occasional frontend (React) work as well.
To apply send a note as well as your resume. See the To Apply section below!
We are a San Francisco based company but you can work from your home or from a workspace. We work remote since before Covid. We will work with you to be a fully connected member of our team. The majority of our staff is located remotely!
We are working on exciting bleeding edge technologies and services to advance patient health.
You care about doing good and finding ways to help other people. We care about the work we do, and how we do it. We care about friendly and effective teams and a civil work life. We care about our patients and their outcomes.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Help define technology solutions to product problems
- Propose, discuss, plan, and develop APIs for use by our frontends as well as system partners
- You will architect and document solutions with your peers in the engineering team, size them, commit to them, develop them, and make sure they succeed in production.
- With your experience, be able to help identify system issues in advance, and understand the tradeoffs in terms of time and effort of the various solutions to them.
- Use your creative intelligence to find appropriate solutions and propose what are perhaps entirely new ways to better solve problems.
- endeavor to be responsive to your team as well as those outside of the team and engage with them honestly.
- know your limitations
- Experience with APIs:
- You should be expert with async code and the issues that arise from multiple processing threads working on the same data.
- Know what a well designed API looks like and why it is the way it is. Have opinions on REST-based apis, positives and negatives.
- API ops experience is a plus
- Experience with System Components:
- Storage: know Mongo/No-SQL and MySQL-like system very well
- Caching: Familiarity with Redis and/or other similar systems. And understand the issues.
- Familiarity with AWS components
- Experience with Process:
- Be a process leader to help us improve our team efficacy. Be able to write clear agile-style use cases and acceptance tests. You have opinions on effective work processes. You can negotiate with other business players on dates and deliverables.
- Be good at understanding, refactoring, and commenting code.
- Know Git, and have experience approving PRs.
- Support task management, and understand how sprints or other agile development processes work.
- Have experience and appreciation for writing test cases. Can talk about TDD or other testing methodologies and have opinions on them.
It’s a plus if you have experiences with:
- Machine learning, image recognition, or human behavior detection technologies
- Kubernetes deployments, Docker, Jenkins, Terraform, DevOps, and system infra
- System optimization, operating systems or networking design
- System and app security, handling PII / HIPAA
- Healthcare related development experiences
- Content management systems
- Business billing and reporting systems
- Principled technology selection process, and build vs buy decisions.
- You must speak excellent English.
Location -- Remote:
- This job is a remote hire based anywhere in the Americas or Europe.
- We require overlap with US timezones.
To Apply: Write an introduction that describes:
- Your interest, passion, and fit for this role. We are passionate people.
- Why you want to work at PeerWell in particular? You can also ask questions to learn more.
- What in your background exactly pertains to this work.
You will not be considered without such a note.