Tortuga is seeking a General Manager (GM) to help us make travel easier and more enjoyable.
As GM, you will be the first non-founder people manager at the company. This is a pivotal hire for us. Today, we are a flat team of 10 with everyone reporting to the co-founder and CEO. In the GM role, you will help to shape our organizational and communication structures and build out the next stage of the company. Our flat structure was initially a strength but is now a limiting factor to our growth. With your help, we will grow into a "team of teams" that is better equipped for future growth.
At Tortuga, we are building a remote, humane workplace. That’s how we think work should work. As the General Manager, you will influence that vision while helping your teammates do great work.
Tortuga is comprised of Players and Coaches. Individual contributors (ICs) are Players and “managers” are Coaches. This analogy would make you the Head Coach. Longer-term, as we develop teams within the company, you will become a Coach of Coaches.
A Coach’s role is to support Players, not to tell them what to do. You are not responsible for solving every problem. You are responsible for helping Players solve their own problems and for removing roadblocks so that Players can do their jobs well. You will enable Players to spend their time in deep work, not in meetings and administrative hell.
Tortuga is and will remain a Player-first company with a low Coach-to-Player ratio.
Your experience should include growing a company or line of business from 7 to 8 figures in revenue and having managed a team of 10+ people (not necessarily all direct reports).
The GM will work directly with Fred Perrotta, the co-founder and CEO of Tortuga.
Tortuga is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage anyone who is interested in joining our team to apply for open roles, even if you aren't certain that you're qualified. For example, research shows that women are less likely to apply for roles if they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications.
Our top priority is hiring the right person for each role at Tortuga. So we want to hear from you.
To lead Tortuga as the Head Coach. You will work closely with each team member and alongside Fred, the co-founder and CEO, to execute on our strategy. You will make the team greater than the sum of its parts.
- Grow Tortuga from 7 to 8 figures in sales while remaining bootstrapped
- Meet or exceed forecasted sales while staying under budget
- Build the next iteration (V4) of the company as we transition from a flat, siloed structure to a more scalable "team of teams"
- Coaching: You empower others to be great at their roles. You are a Coach, not a manager. Coaches don’t solve problems; they help Players solve problems. Tortuga is a Player-first company.
- The Right Ambition: The right ambition is ambition for the company, not for yourself. If Tortuga does well, you will do well. The opposite is not necessarily true. You should be able to work towards a common, company-wide goal even when you disagree with the strategy. Doing what is best for Tortuga and our customers is more important than getting your way.
- Taking Initiative: Every company says that it wants to hire self-starters. Remote companies have no choice. You must take initiative and hold yourself accountable to a high standard of work. No one is looking over your shoulder or tracking every minute of your work. You will likely have more autonomy at Tortuga than at your previous jobs. If you can’t turn this freedom into results, you won’t be successful on a remote team.
- Written Communication: Everyone on a remote team must be a strong writer. We have video calls and team retreats but communicate far more often in writing (Docs, Asana, email, Slack). You must be able to communicate clearly and concisely in writing.
DO NOT APPLY IF...
- You aren’t excited about travel. Our team is passionate about the problems we work on every day and our mission of making travel easier and more enjoyable.
- You want to spend your day in deep work. Coaches will have a manager's schedule, not a maker’s schedule.
- You need the structure of working at a big company. We are a small, remote team. There is no HR department. If you need something done, you do it.
- You need the credit. We’ve built a humble, “no ego” team and only intend to hire people who fit that mold.
You must be based in a North America-friendly time zone as nine tenths of our team is based in the US and Canada.
- Salary: Base pay is $140,000. At Tortuga, salaries are calculated by a formula, not by negotiation. The formula includes base pay with multipliers for job level and tenure (at Tortuga).
- Work from Anywhere: Tortuga is 100% distributed. Decide where you work best, whether that's from home, a coffee shop, a co-working space, or another country. We will even pay for your coworking membership.
- Team Retreats: Twice per year, we meet up to plan the future and to enjoy time together in person. Past retreats include Prague, New Orleans, Lisbon, and Montreal.
- Unlimited Vacation: You decide how much of a break you need and when. Just promise to tell us about your trip when you get back.
- Total Coverage: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance. We pay 100% of your premiums and 50% of your dependents' premiums.
- Retirement Savings: Tortuga matches 100% of your contributions up to 4% of your salary.
- Parental Leave: Take up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Free Gear: All the bags and accessories you need for your future travels.
To apply: https://tortuga.workable.com/jobs/1046190