Headquarters: Melbourne, Australia
IN A NUTSHELL
Bellroy’s technology team is searching for a Front End Developer to help us not just to deliver great user experiences but to deliver them from a codebase that’s better than it was last time we touched it - and do this every time we touch it. We want you to ship features (we’re not a language research lab and we’re not afraid of a slightly inelegant hack that gets the job done without polluting the codebase) but to be able to look back and see that we used the right abstractions, that our architecture served our business needs, that we didn’t brute force what we could have finessed. To achieve this end we need someone (you?) who can craft quality Elm code and contribute to our front end development roadmap.
At some companies we observe a familiar and depressing pattern: the most technically excellent developers hit a ceiling beyond which they can’t progress unless they start taking on direct “reports”, and becoming “managers”. Given no other options they launch themselves down this path. As they progress they spend less and less time doing the thing that they love (crafting excellent code) while they learn a completely different craft — management — and spend more and more time dealing with people and their problems. At Bellroy we love the people who want to make that transition, but we don’t think that it should be the only way to progress your career, and we make sure that we have a technical stream that allows people to keep getting better at programming. This is a role in that technical stream.
We still run some vanilla JS and React components, but we’re a long way down the path of making Elm our predominant front-end tool. We’re excited about the potential that lies at the intersection between rich interactivity and a content management system, and we believe Elm is a key to unlocking that potential.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF YOU...
- Have solid experience in delivering high-quality user experiences in HTML, CSS and vanilla JS
- Consistently deliver high quality code with strong, well-researched design principles
- Love building great user experiences, and don’t see people management as the right way to progress in your career (now; you’re welcome to change your mind later!)
- Get excited about great books and the ideas you can lift from them – technical and non-technical books alike
- Think a workplace with dogs, coffee, breakout spaces and casual dresscode sounds like a great place to spend your days
- Want to work for a company that cares about doing good things for the world
YOU PROBABLY AREN'T THE ONE IF YOU...
- Think that being a manager of other people is the definition of “successful”
- Work just to pay the bills, no matter who is paying you
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time position and we're open to remote workers.
A 4-5 hour cross over with AEST business hours is essential.
We’re ready when you are.
READY TO APPLY?
Click the apply button, you'll be directed to the application page. You'll need your resume, a cover letter and to complete an exercise.
To apply: https://grnh.se/30f9ac7f1