Headquarters: Austin, TX
This is a dream role designed specifically for a high-achieving, tech-savvy college graduate who believes there is more to life than getting a job at a mega-corporation and counting the days until retirement (or layoffs…)
Dear Future Entrepreneurial Superstar,
- Did you just graduate, and are in high demand for your skills, but don’t want to be a cog in a wheel at large company?
- Would you like the opportunity to live and work abroad, but don’t want to come home from a year of “teaching English” and be behind in your career?
- Do you want to start your own company, but you are not sure where to start?
If you’ve always been an expert communicator who is technologically inclined and would like to take those skills to the next level -- while at the same time learning the crucial entrepreneurial and marketing skills you need to grow your first company -- this could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
But before I tell you more about the opportunity, I should probably introduce myself.
Who am I?
I’m a Fulbright-Scholar-Turned-Founder of a fast-growing marketing company, and about 10 years ago I was in the exact same position as you.
I graduated from college and received a Fulbright Fellowship to live and work in China, where I was introduced to Tony Hsieh, Sir Ken Robinson, and a bunch of other brilliant entrepreneurs.
I returned to the US hungry to start a business, but after all my “formal education” I still knew nothing about being an entrepreneur…
So I got a job as the “right-hand man” to a FORBES 30 under 30 CEO, where I learned through hands-on experience how to build a multi-million dollar online business through direct response marketing.
I started as the 3rd employee, and two years later I was heading the 15+ person sales team for a company ranked #168 on the Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Companies list that did $10 million dollars in revenue.
Four years later I started a digital marketing business, and now I host a successful podcast with over 20,000 monthly listeners and have worked with more than 150 online businesses to help them grow from 7 to 8 figures and beyond.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
Truth: Your “formal education” doesn’t prepare you for the reality of starting and running a business.
Sad Reality: Colleges these days get a lot of criticism about leaving graduates with too much debt and not enough job opportunities.
While it’s a valid criticism, it doesn’t tell the whole story. Where they should be receiving criticism is for leaving graduates without the skills to build their own company.
I graduated from college and wanted to start a business but didn’t know how. So instead of being frustrated and blaming my university, I got a job as a “right hand man” at a startup.
I worked there for three years, and then left to start my own company. I began hosting a podcast where I interviewed founders of ecommerce companies to figure out how they grew...and then started doing consulting work to help them.
Now you can do the same thing….
Opportunity: Work as a “right-hand woman/man” for a fast-growing company that helps multi-million dollar ecommerce companies (like MVMT Watches, Kettle and Fire, and Dr. Axe) scale up. .
You will be in a privileged position to learn from some of the most successful companies in the world and find out what makes them successful.
If you’ve got a burning desire to be an entrepreneur, and this sounds like the opportunity you’re looking for, here are the…
Skills We’re Looking For:
I am looking for someone who…
- Is hungry to learn about marketing and entrepreneurship. This is the most important factor in your success.
- Has always been the “tech person” in their family and feels at home troubleshooting tech issues.
- A polished writer who is comfortable creating content, and editing his or her own work without much oversight.
- Is a finisher. Do you hate leaving projects unfinished? You must love the details of your projects, and work dutifully to ensure the user has a positive experience with your product.
- Is a self-starter who won’t take no for an answer.
- An analytical mind who’s been successful in mathematics.
- Has a strong grasp of social media. If you know how to get likes, comments, and shares….we want your help!
Who This is Not For:
- Someone who thinks that learning is over when school is over.
- Someone who is only motivated by a boss telling him or her to work harder.
- Someone who doesn’t believe that how you feel on the inside, directly correlates with how you perform in life and business.
We Hire the Best, Regardless of Their Location.
Our clients run businesses all over the world, and we believe flexibility in where you work leads to better performance and happiness. Performance and attitude is the most important aspect of this job, not clocking hours in the office or water cooler politics.
Want to set up shop at a coworking space in Bali, or put the finishing touches on an email campaign while sipping coffee at a sidewalk café Buenos Aires? Fine with us. As long as you can work on a US timezone, we’re cool with it.
Unlike other jobs, we don’t believe that what you do should dictate where you live.
We’re looking for people who can demonstrate they hold themselves to a higher standard in everything they do because with great flexibility comes great responsibility.
All this flexibility doesn’t mean we’re not a close-knit team…
For your first month, you’ll be working side-by-side with the CEO & Project Manager in Austin, Texas, and after that you’ll have daily meetings and quarterly retreats to make sure we’re growing stronger as a team (we’re currently in Santa Barbara for our quarterly retreat).
You Must Love Marketing:
Peter Drucker, the father of business consulting, made a statement long ago that we follow to this day:
“Business enterprise has two–and only two–basic functions: marketing and innovation. Marketing and innovation produce results; all the rest are costs. Marketing is the distinguishing, unique function of the business.”
Marketing, and specifically direct response marketing, is what drives success in every industry, and to be successful here it’s something you must be excited to learn about.
We Hire Characters Not Positions:
We’re a small company with big aspirations, and we work hard (and have a LOT of fun) while making that happen. If you have what it takes as an individual - in other words, if you’re a consistent high-achiever in everything you do in life - then you'll fit in well at our company.
Responsibilities Include (But are not limited to):
- Building and sending emails with email marketing software
- Writing and formatting blog posts in Wordpress
- Producing podcasts and managing syndication
- Rolling up your sleeves and digging into analytics to create client dashboards
- Interfacing with clients and building relationships
- Managing company dashboards and evaluating metrics for company success
- Coordinating logistics around in-person events
- Many, many hats will be worn.
HOW TO APPLY
No exceptions - in order to apply please provide the following.
1) Write a COVER LETTER addressing the following questions:
a) Why do you think you'd be the “Entrepreneurial Superstar” we’re looking for?
Describe why you’re a consistent high-achiever. Give SPECIFIC examples of past achievements and/or accolades related to your successes.
(Tip) If you literally only had 30 seconds with me in an elevator, what would you say is your biggest accomplishment?
b) What are the last three books you've read?
c) What do you do for fun?
d) Explain what you're doing now for work and why you’re looking elsewhere.
e) To ensure your attention to detail, please include the words “Pink Cadillac” in the first paragraph of your cover letter.
2) Create ONE document (Word or PDF) that contains both your custom cover letter and your resume. Cover letter first, resume second.
3) Click the “Apply Now” button on this page.
To apply: [email protected]