Headquarters: Baltimore, Maryland
Allovue believes every student deserves access to the resources they need to be successful in school. Our education resource planning software empowers K–12 administrators at every level to allocate resources to best support the needs of their students. We seek people who are creative, funny, humble, flexible, motivated, collaborative, and problem-solvers. We love and respect our team members. We also love silly GIFs.
Your role as a Developer means you’re an integral part of our team. Our product is a single-page app that provides budget planning and analysis to school districts. You’ll be adding features and fixing bugs in support of that product, learning along the way.
We have developers across all the time zones in the contiguous US. We tend to assign work at the milestone level rather than one ticket at a time, providing a degree of autonomy and ownership of your efforts.
Here are some day-to-day things that developers can expect from Allovue
- Weekly informal team-wide chat (at the moment part of that meeting involves a tech book club: we’re reading Clean Code at the time of this writing)
- Clear and achievable tickets from product/design teamA member of the dev team available to pair on request within an average of one hour of being asked
- A member of the dev team available to pair on request within an average of one hour of being asked
- Feedback from other developers within 24 hours of opening a pull request on average
- Responses to questions about a ticket within two hours on average
- Five hours weekly for self-guided professional development
- One-on-one check-in with a manager every other week following a running agenda that includes setting goals and accounting for progress towards those goals
- Monthly one-on-one check-in with a product manager
- Traveling to company-wide onsite two-day meetings three times per year for strategic planning.
Here are some day-to-day things that Allovue will expect from developers
- Pushing your code changes to Github daily
- Opening pull requests weekly
- Providing feedback or questions on other developers' PRs daily
- Proactively asking for assistance and describing what has not worked within four hours of becoming stuck
- Participation in daily standups
- Ownership of customer problems and product solutions
- Be a humble, kind, and patient person,
- +4 years experience with Ruby on Rails or (preferably) Ember.js
We would like to increase the team’s experience with all of the following, but these would be great bonuses, not requirements. Bear in mind that we don’t expect any candidate to have any of these
- Comfortable working on a remote team
- R (the statistics language)
- Experience in K-12 education or administration
- Unix server maintenance (we realize that this is a list 9000 items long…)
We strive to be a patient, inclusive, and supportive team and company. We hope that every addition to the team brings us a different background and perspective. Read what our CEO had to say
about how we treat one another.
As a company, we value collaboration, simplicity, initiative, judgment, and urgency.
As a team, we prefer convention over configuration. Clarity over cleverness. Tests, more tests, and better tests. We believe that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Oh, and we average fewer than 3 on-call emergencies per year.
Perks and Benefits
We appreciate that our team members invest their brilliance, creativity, and general amazingness into growing Allovue and serving our customers - so what will you receive in return?
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental And Vision Coverage
- Employee Friendly Option Plans
- 401K Plan
- 529 Plan Administration
- Flexible Hours And Location
- 3 Weeks Of Paid Vacation/Sick leave
To apply: https://allovue.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=11